For over a decade marine biologist Dr Simon Berrow has led expeditions from Ireland to Cape Verde. His quest? To prove humpback whales seen feeding off Ireland in summer and autumn are the same ones found breeding in Cape Verde in spring.
In 2014 his quest takes a dramatic twist – Humpback Whales are showing up in Cape Verde at the ‘wrong time’ in September.
The theory? They are visitors from the southern hemisphere. Find the evidence and he will be first to document a common ground for northern hemisphere and southern hemisphere humpback whales in the Eastern Atlantic.
But first he must find them.
You’ve seen the film… now get involved
The Humpback Whales of Cape Verde aired on TG4 on Saturday 29 October. It highlights how little we really know about these highly mobile and transient marine mammals, and how vital it is to understand them beyond the confines of their visits to Irish waters.
It’s easy to make a difference and play your part in Whale and Dolphin Conservation, not just here in Ireland but across the North Atlantic range of these iconic marine mammals. All you need to do is join the Irish Whale and Dolphin Group.
As a member of the Irish Whale and Dolphin Group you can play a vital role in the organisation’s ongoing research and conservation work to protect these iconic creatures not just here in Ireland, helping to inform our understanding, and whales and dolphins in Irish waters and across the north Atlantic.
What does membership offer you?
As well as vital support of our conservation work, IWDG membership has other benefits. When you join you will receive:
- IWDG News: our e-zine and special access to members only area on our website
- Monthly group email updates and local reports on strandings and sightings of interest in your area
- Discounts on all IWDG events, weekends and training workshops.
- Reduced rates on IWDG publications: sighting reviews, posters etc
- Opportunities to take part in IWDG research cruises and fieldwork
- An opportunity to join like-minded people interested in marine conservation.
- Advice on whale-watching and related topics
- … and more.
If you love whales and dolphins, and want to help us look after them in Ireland and further afield, there’s no better way to do that than joining the IWDG.
What are you waiting for?